International Applicants

Only International applicants whose native language is not English are required to provide proof of English proficiency for admission to degree, certificate, and non-degree graduate programs.

Five Branches University welcomes international applicants from all over the world. We support a multicultural and multilingual environment, offering our Doctorate program in English and Chinese, and our Master of Traditional Chinese Medicine in English, Chinese, and Korean.

Five Branches defines an international applicant as someone who is a citizen or permanent resident of a country, other than the United States, who wishes to pursue a Master’s or Doctorate degree at our university. Five Branches University is authorized under federal law to enroll non-immigrant alien students and complies with all federal guidelines and directives of the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

International applicants follow the same application and admissions procedures as required of resident students, in addition to meeting the international application requirements. We recommend international applicants begin the admissions process six months to one year prior to the desired enrollment date. Tuition for international students are the same as for U.S. citizens and residents. International students are not eligible for U.S. federal financial aid.

International Application Requirements

If you are an international applicant applying for an F-1 student visa through Five Branches University, you must submit the following documents along with the completed application. It is important to write your name (as it appears on your passport) on your application and all supplemental documents.

  1. A photocopy of the name and picture page of your passport
  2. Transcript evaluation
    If you have completed previous TCM education in another country, you must have your transcripts reviewed by a credential evaluation agency that is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services, Inc. Transcripts need to be evaluated on a course-by-course basis. The evaluation, containing the total number of earned credits and cumulative GPA, should be sent directly to Five Branches University by the evaluating agency. We recommend World Educational Services (WES),
  3. Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
    If you are an international applicant and have completed at least a two year (60 semester credit or 90 quarter credit) baccalaureate level education from an institution accredited by an agency recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education or from an equivalent English language institution in another country, the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) may not be required.

    Postgraduate DAOM Program in both English and Chinese

    If you are applying for either the English Postgraduate DAOM Program or the Chinese Postgraduate DAOM Program, and your native language is not English, you are required to complete the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) internet based test (iBT) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) exam. The minimum scores to achieve on these tests are as follows:

    Test of English as a Foreign Language Internet-Based Test (TOEFL® iBT) Total: 61
    International English Language Testing System (IELTS), Academic Format Overall band: 6
    Duolingo English Test 90
    China Standard of English Language (CSE) CSE 6
    Cambridge First Certificate in English (FCE) C
    Cambridge English Advanced (CAE) C
    Common European Framework Reference (CEFR) B2
    Occupational English Test (OET) 250, C
    Pearson Test of English (PTE), Academic Overall: 45

    When taking the TOEFL, please enter the appropriate Five Branches assigned code on the Score Report Request Form:
    San Jose campus assigned code: 5881

    If you do not meet the minimum English language proficiency requirements prior to enrollment, you may be conditionally admitted with the understanding that you will study English and meet the TOEFL or IELTS requirements before the end of the 12th month in the program.

  4. Financial Statement
    A Financial Statement, certified by a financial institution, verifying the availability of at least $35,000 in U.S. dollars. This amount should cover your education and living expenses for one academic year. If you need the university to issue an I-20 for your dependents, you will need to calculate an additional $4,000 for each dependent. In addition, you may want to consider having additional funds for off-campus months and miscellaneous expenses. We recommend having approximately $7,000 for this purpose. If your tuition or living expenses are going to be partially or fully paid by a sponsor, the Financial Statement must be signed by your sponsor, stating they assume financial responsibility for the designated amount.
  5. Health Insurance
    International students must provide proof of health insurance coverage prior to student registration. Due to the high costs of medical insurance in the United States it may be advantageous to purchase health insurance coverage in your home country. We recommend you purchase a healthcare policy for yourself and any dependents, with a minimum coverage of $250,000 per incident, and a deductible of no more than $500 per person, per year.Prior to your arrival into the United States we recommend you obtain from your primary physician, medical records for you and your dependents. These should include a medical history describing previous illnesses, surgeries, and records of all immunizations, including those received in childhood. In addition, since dental costs in the United States tend to be considerably higher than most other countries, you are advised to have any necessary dental work completed in your home country prior to your arrival in the U.S.

International Applicants Currently Studying in the U.S.

If you are an international student who is currently on an F-1 student visa, enrolled at another college or university in the U.S., you must submit the following documents along with your application materials:

  1. A photocopy of your visa, contained in your passport
  2. A photocopy of your I-20 Form

Once you have been accepted to Five Branches University, a Transfer Release Form must be signed by your current school’s admissions office, verifying you have maintained your visa status and are eligible for transfer. Please contact the Five Branches University admissions office to receive a copy of this form.

For more information regarding the International application process please contact:

Postgraduate DAOM Admissions
(408) 260-0208 ext. 255

Read in: Chinese